Monday 7 August 2017

Gear Review after finishing the Snowdonia Way

This year (2017) has been a relatively quiet one so far. I have only done two long walks, the North Downs Way and the Snowdonia Way. I haven't bought any new equipment this year, so pretty much everything falls into the "Tried and tested" category, or in some cases even the "Time to look for a new one" category.

I have listed all my gear at the end of this post, below. How did it perform?

Did anything break? Yes, one of my Komperdell carbon walking poles broke - the end fell off while walking along level ground. This is the second time that has happened to me, so I do not recommend Komperdell poles! I will stick with the Fizan aluminium poles instead. They are lighter than the Komperdell carbon poles anyway! And a third of the price.

Anything else? Yes, my beautiful new Samsung Galaxy S8+ phone fell out of a pocket of my rucksack half way up Snowdon. It damaged the screen and effectively stopped it from working. It is currently in for repair and it will be expensive. In some ways I like this phone - the display is truly magnificent. But the phone is easy to drop and it is definitely fragile. My previous phone, a Samsung S5, is still fine despite having been dropped a dozen times or more. If you get and S8 or S8+, I recommend you take out insurance for it, and buy a protective case too.

Anything more? No, everything else held together well. I was especially pleased with my new Berghaus Supalite boots, similar to the older Brasher ones, but with Vibram soles which are a definite improvement. Harder wearing and better grip. My Zpacks ArcBlast rucksack and Hexamid Duo tent performed flawlessly. They are absolutely the very best. My Rohan clothing was also excellent, especially the Ultra Silver base layers and the Escaper trousers.

After finishing the HRP I sent the ArcBlast back to Zpacks for refurbishment and repair. They did this free of charge - they are an excellent company - but it was still an expensive exercise, partly because of the postage, partly the exchange rate, and partly because I bought some other stuff from them at the same time. In particular, a Zero backpack, not suitable for long treks but ideal for a weekend away or up to a week or so perhaps, it is a weight thing really, it is best with no more than 5-6Kg rather than the 8-10Kg or even more that the ArcBlast can handle.

So nothing to replace, then? Hmm, well, my Berghaus Paclite waterproofs have done very well over almost ten years - four trips to the Pyrenees, two Pennine Ways etc etc... but I think they are nearing the end of their life now. Even reproofed they are no longer totally waterproof (too many barbed wire, or bramble, incidents!) and they are not as breathable as I would like. I suspect that it might be possible to find something which is both lighter and more breathable.. I will look around for something, anyway. Also my Suunto Core watch is now unreliable, its altimeter says silly things. I will try sending it back to Suunto, but it might need replacement.

My Paramo cap is the first piece of proper walking gear I ever bought, and it has had a good innings but is faded and worn. I would replace it - I went to the Paramo shop in Wadhurst to do that very thing - but Paramo don't make caps like it any more, and I didn't like what they sell instead nearly as much. So I shall stick with it for now.

Frankly I think that is pretty good going - only the Komperdell poles have turned out to be a bad buy. If you have any queries on any piece of kit, some of the other posts here may say more about it, or feel free to ask me..

Most of the above kit on display, on Crib Goch





Snowdonia Gear List July 2017



















g oz











Bits & Bobs
Basics
Rucksack [Zpacks Arcsoft] 591 20.8

spare CR2032 battery


Rucksack Belt Purse
28 1.0

head torch


Sleeping bag [Zpacks]
788 27.8

spare bootlaces


Sleeping mat [neoair]
274 9.7

spare matches


Cuben liner sack
65 2.3

sewing kit


Cuben small sack 
27 1.0

earplugs


Tent [Zpacks Hexamid]
663 23.4

spare rubber bands









duct tape




Basics: 2,436 85.9

aspirin









ballpoint pen
Cooking
Pot cosy

25 0.9

antacid tablets


Caldera cone
35 1.2

phone earpiece


Meths fuel
210 7.4

cod liver oil pills


Titanium mug
58 2.0

rucksack elastic cord


Spork

10 0.4




silverpoint lighter
65 2.3




Pot, stove, matches, fuel measure 189 6.7
















Cooking: 592 20.9

Toiletries Bags









Toiletries
Toiletries bag (inner)
133 4.7

Inner
& Sundries Toiletries bag (outer)
68 2.4

Mirror/brush


Lightload towel
16 0.6

toothpaste


Suntan lotion
64 2.3

tepe brushes


Foot cream
43 1.5

razor + 1 blades









toothbrush




Toiletries & Sundries: 324 11.4

soap bar









Equipment Bits & bobs bag
165 5.8

Outer
& Documents Sunglasses (inc. hanky)
77 2.7

comb


Suunto Core
63 2.2

waterless soap


Credit cards 
23 0.8

tissues


Samsung S8+ phone
174 6.1

plasters, dressing


25.6 Ah charger + lead + stuff sack 511 18.0

Eurax


Samsung S5 phone (spare!)
155 5.5




Steripen Freedom 93 3.3

Food



      Equipment: 1,261 44.5










roasted almonds
Fleece
Campagnolo light fleece (red) 273 9.6

dry roast peanuts
Trousers
Rohan Escapers
294 10.4

instant coffee
Waterproofs Berghaus Paclite jacket/trousers 599 21.1

bars & biscuits
Base layers Rohan ultra silver knicks
43 1.5

miso & mushroom soup


Rohan Ultra Silver T (royal blue s/s) 76 2.7

bananas


Rohan liner socks
26 0.9

rice














Clothing: 1,311 46.2
















Base weight: 4,347 153.3












Food & Drink 500ml water bottle x2 50 1.8




750ml water bottle
30 1.1




1750ml water
1,750 61.7




food total:
1,500 52.9
















Food: 3,330 117.5
















Carry Total: 7,677 270.8












To Wear
Rohan socks
38 1.3




Rohan liner socks
26 0.9




Paramo hat
64 2.3




Bam knicks
120 4.2




Rohan Ultra Silver T (black l/s) 113 4.0




Rohan Escapers 
294 10.4




French belt (brown)
29 1.0




Rohan microgrid fleece 
370 13.1




Step counter
37 1.3




Suunto Core
63 2.2




Penknife

102 3.6




Berghaus Supalite boots (new inc shockstoppers) 1,383 48.8




Komperdell walking poles (pair) 350 12.3
















To Wear: 2,989 105.4


No comments:

Post a Comment